• Administrator
  •  
    We hope you will use and enjoy this NEW FREE forum - sharing and helping all sailors in these islands.
    Due to an increase in suspect login attempts and spammers, we no longer accept @gmail.com email addresses - sorry for the inconvenience!

GRAN TARAJAL - STORM EMMA DAMAGE

General discussion area for the whole of the canary Islands. Including: Fishing, Surfing, kite Surfing, passage provisioning and more.
Great Britain Hoooray
Site Admin

Post by Hoooray » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:02 am

Gran Tarajal has always been a very dangerous harbor in a southerly wind. No doubt questions will be asked as to why so many barges and large vessels were allowed to remain or even be in the port. But for now we invite anyone with photos of the incident to post them here.

Due to high demand there is now a dedicated area for posting your youtube videos of the storm and subsequent damage.

Great Britain Dangermouse

storm tenerife - is it safe now?

Post by Dangermouse » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:07 am

I found this picture of boats blown over in Tenerife - is it safe to go there, how much damage was caused? any info would be great

Denmark Grace

Post by Grace » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:39 am

It wasn't just the tugs etc that sunk, a wooden boat sunk as well, with only the mast now showing. There is a lot of damage to the pontoons as well - but what's new? It has always been like this here, we all knew that the tugs would be in trouble if a southerly came in - why didn't those in charge of them do something before hand? I suppose we will just have to wait and see what happens now, but feeling in the town is running high and no one is happy. it's all the politicos that are in charge and they really don't care as long as they get their cut from someone.

Great Britain Hoooray
Site Admin

Post by Hoooray » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:40 am

Hi Grace and welcome to the forum.

You are right about Gran Tarajal always being in dire need of a bit of TLC. I personally have many photographs going back years of damage to the docks and pontoons in the port. I have known many boats being damaged in the port when a southerly comes in - with cleats breaking and boats being allowed to repeatedly smash back and forth and no one doing anything to help/stop it.

Let's hope that when this is all investigated heads will roll, and something good will come out of all this and the port can be run by the Town Hall and not Puertos Canarios.

Read this page www.sailingtheatlantic.com/gt_damage.html for more information as to what happened and what is now happening - also seeing as you are on the spot, you can keep us all informed.

Have a great day!

Spain Pokemon

Post by Pokemon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:58 am

Hola!

Please forgive my english - it might not be right. I live at Gran Tarajal, it is a disatre for us, no one person telling us why the boats come to our port. People say that domingo our port master said no to them, but they come, and now they sink. Where is the money for the town people. We understand 150,000euros paid, but not to us in the town. Now they sink, but because the authorities say not to move boats, here is proof.

Braveheart

Re: GRAN TARAJAL - STORM EMMA DAMAGE

Post by Braveheart » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:06 pm

To all those wanting or wishing to visit - DONT!! That is my best advice at the moment. The marina is full of oil, no one is doing anything about it and there is a lot of damage to the pontoons_what a pile of poop! there are diggers and cranes and all sorts of things going on over the other side of the marina (commercial end), and we were not allowed to go near. WE have let and are now in las palmas - though for how long I dont know as it is not much cleaner here - bring on the end of the year and we are off to sunny carib - YES YES YES YES.................... :lol:

Spain wayfarer

GRAN TARAJAL - OIL IN THE WATER

Post by wayfarer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:36 pm

Oh don't get me started with Gran Tarajal, we were there last year and though it was a bit 'out there' at least we could get in and out of the marina. This time we were held in port due to there being booms across the mouth of the harbour because they allowed junk boats in there to sink. We now have oil stains up and down our freeboard. When we asked for some detergent (the same as the the workmen in the harbour were using) we were informed that we couldn't have any as it was too dangerous for 'normal people' to use, and that it was cancerous! Woah, this stuff is being dumped in the water and no one seems to know exactly what it is????????? We are now glad to be out of there, and doubt we shall be returning. Thanks but no thanks to gran tarajal, we are left with a bill to clean our hull. :(

Denmark Grace

Post by Grace » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:56 pm

We have now left, and not a moment too soon - the government states that the clean up is being done by the univeristy in Las Palmas, using 'natural bacteria' - oh please, so with all the oil disasters in the world only Las Palmas University has the answer - the smell in the port is unbearable, the damage to our boat due to the industrial oil will be a lifelong memory - thanks Gran Tarajal, thanks Las Palmas, and no thank you to the government of the Canary Islands - will be glad to get out of here..... I mean the islands - full stop! :x

Was This Topic Useful?