• Administrator
  •  
    We hope you will use and enjoy this NEW FREE forum - sharing and helping all sailors in these islands.
    Due to an increase in suspect login attempts and spammers, we no longer accept @gmail.com email addresses - sorry for the inconvenience!

Advice for the ICW and Caribbean

Questions and answers about Atlantic crossings
France precinct

Post by precinct » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:20 pm

My wife and I will be leaving ASAP (waiting for weather) for the Caribbean. I appreciate that for most people this might seem a bit late on in the season but it's OK for us. I really don't have any serious concerns about our jaunt in the Caribbean, but would like more information regarding the ICW and all waters on the Eastern seaboard. Links to sites or blogs are what I am after if that is OK. Happy sailing everyone. 8-)

Great Britain Impressionist

Re: Advice for the ICW and Caribbean

Post by Impressionist » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:40 pm

Caribbean is generally pretty easy sailing. Be respectful at customs and immigration (cover shoulders). Some of the islands have morning nets and many now have Facebook groups with lots of useful information.

Suggest you join Active Captain, particularly useful in the Bahamas and USA, and almost essential on the ICW. Up to date info from users on marinas, anchorages and problem areas (lots of shallows on ICW). We used it as an overlay on Plan2Nav and MX Mariner digital charts; I believe Garmin also has it as a chart overlay.

Bahamas channels shift, the only charts updated every year are Explorer charts - we were given old ones and used Plan2Nav (based on Explorer) digital for up to date info.

Enjoy.

Australia folklore

Re: Advice for the ICW and Caribbean

Post by folklore » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:46 pm

Hi Impressionist.
many thanks for all your great advice - obviously from someone who knows. i will look up Active Captain - seems just as I think I've got my head around it all then something else crops up! Oh well I suppose that's sailing!

Do you have any other information that I should know?
all the best to you
Folklore

United States of America Dreamon

Post by Dreamon » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:16 pm

Good Afternoon to everyone.
I am most interested in what you all have to say about the ICW. It is a bit of a dream of mine to do these things, and I just love listening and reading about what you all get up to. I know that you will think that I should not be here, but, seriously, one day, god willing, I too will be sailing away somewhere, so keep up the good work giving people like me an insight into your fantastic lives.... Thank you.. Dream On....

Was This Topic Useful?